Friday, October 27, 2006

Feel the burn

Ok so I had 2 free workouts to try at Shapes,Inc. just 2 blocks from my house here in Middletown. I figured I was off today, I woke up with a "THIS is the day" feeling. Prayed about it and took the plunge. I decided to try a 20 minute circuit (that is 1 min on each machine/step platform). I wore my own headphones listening to "Matisyahu" which is a Jewish reggae artist (awesome feel good workout music I might add!) and could still hear the voice saying "switch stations". I shelled out $3 for an Infared Dry Sauna Treatment. So I did my workout and found it winded me pretty good, especially as a beginner (I'm in REALLY bad shape). You can do as many circuits as you want. I didn't do the free weights or nautilus machines, or the elliptical or treadmills they have too. They also have FREE classes for members kickboxing,aerobics, I think also pilates or yoga. Well anyway. I went out to the front and got myself two, thick, big towels to wrap around myself (I didn't know how big they were and I was going to get my money's worth for my $3 I'm not shy but I am modest in most cases and prefer to be covered but I'm NOT going to wear my sweaty nasty workout clothes in a lovely cedar sauna retreat!YUCK! So I step in not sure what to expect the attendant gave me an extra 5 minutes to change and in I go. First thing that hit me was the smell of CEDAR lovely spicy woody cedar. There is a cd player in the sauna you can put your own cd in or just listen to the nature sounds (this was ocean, birds, and the shore ) they had playing. I turned up the ambient nature sound so I didn't have to hear the thumping of the circuit training music outside my little cocoon of $3.00/15 min luxury. It is said that the dry sauna is 80/20 . This means that instead of only losing 10% toxins like in a wet sauna you lose approximately 20% toxins and 80% sweat....you also burn an extra 500 calories. That is a bonus to me. Well in any case, I relaxed....I loved it. It felt just like laying in the sunshine without the UV rays (yay no sunburn!). Definetely a do again. I came out talked to the attendant/desk lady who is very nice. I found out the woman who owns the place is a pastor's wife and the literature lying around the place that you can read and relax with a smoothy are 'inspirational' type things (read Christian) very encouraging! Well I think I already knew I was going for a membership. So I bought a year's membership. Now if I don't use it I'm going to have to kick my own butt because it cost money. But I came out of that workout/sauna feeling more centered, positive, and like a million bucks than I have in a long long time. It was worth the money. I do feel like I've done one of the most positive things for myself in a long time. I get the feeling whenever I go in there that I am doing something postive, nice for myself, and slightly (just slightly) luxurious whenever I do.
Along the same note my goal is to lose 100 lbs. by next October. I know it is possible. I have also been CAFFIENE FREE FOR 2 WHOLE WEEKS!
w00t!
I'll keep my blog readers up to date. Until then FEEL THE BURN!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Working out is great isn't.:) Certainly cuts down on the strees for me.

October 27, 2006 at 9:50 PM  
Blogger Val said...

Way to go, lady!!!

December 11, 2006 at 7:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home