Sunday, February 20, 2005

spring fever

The bronchitis has come and gone. Praise God. Now a new malady has struck. One common to many people stuck in snowbound hellish Midwest and Eastern winterscapes. But even worse in Indiana...it is spring fever. Now, Indiana weather is, at best, quite fickle. For example: Last week we had a day get up to approximately 60 degrees or more then it promptly snowed that night and was expected to get down to 19 degrees this weekend. It will alternately ice storm, hail , and then be warm enough to wear short sleeves for approximately 2 hours. There was something even called a particle warning recently which can aggravate some people's respiratory conditions (think bronchitis..ahem).
Last week during one of these insane days, the warm one in fact, may have been Thursday... I was suddenly struck by a nostaligic and tender desire to go play catch and flys with my buddies Rachael and Ryan Davis and other college friends like we used to do in Greenville during the springtime in Patriot's Park. Also I remember playing cricket (or as near as you can get with only 2 people and no wickets or a Chesterfield sofa playing a Houdini act in the middle of the Cup ground in England***kudos to you and a special prize if you can name the book that comes from...leave a comment****) with my friend Kristian Kauffman at Patriot's Park while he dreamed of leaving Greenville to just drop in on the 2 day test match in Barbados while I rubbed my hands and grimaced swearing under my breath about the rock masquerading as a ball wrapped in leather (kudos to Diggory and Matt for a brave try this summer....ah the fickle English rain). I also had the sudden inane desire to clean something: my room, the car, something...while I had energy and motivation. Unfortunately that desire did not become a realization and I ended up watching tv instead. Ah well. It's not quite spring yet, but the spring fever strikes early.
Also as of late I've been trying to play "Riverdance". I've been taking a course through the community classes at IUPUI http://www.iupui.edu.
Is she crazy? No, just grabbing life by the horns as it were. I already do Israeli dance so I just bridged the gap to a more, um, demanding physical activity. It's quite fun! And for those of you who cannot picture dear old An bouncing up and down in imitation of a female Michael Flaherty you shall remain nameless (Christina) and only know that indeed I am bouncing around wearing dance sneakers (thanks for the tip Sarah Holiday!) but not ready to invest in ghillies or Irish Hard shoe until I'm sure I'm ready to stick with it for a bit. I am a far cry from even the little kids starting out in competitive dancing but I sure do enjoy knowing that I am exercising for a change. It's not like I'm going to be dancingin any feisanna soon. Who knows though when I may end up in Ireland ready to dance a caelie or some trebles. Even AMF is getting into the picture and does cardiokickboxing on Monday nights with her group from work. So,
as as certain shoe company once said. "Just do it already Meathead!"
Well ok I said that with all apologies to Archie Bunker.
Enjoy spring fever, fall into it's embrace...hit a ball,have a picnic with your sweetie, meet your sweetie, polish your shoes or dust your collection of matchbox cars for all I care. Just do something to enjoy the insanity of the coming spring before the allergens are out in full force. God bless Claritin (tm)!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home